Apple_107 - Admin Application // [CLOSED]

BYOND KEY: apple_107
DISCORD ID: Apple#2885
USUAL IC HANDLE: T.U.C.K V3.2 & Recess Almaya

EXPERIENCE WITH SS13: Just over a year since sign-up, wide experience with tg/bee with some experience on baystation. Slowly expanding map-making experience. (“dream maker bad”)

EXPERIENCE WITH ADMINISTRATION IN SS13: More than Czanek(tm), AuStation admin for ~7 months, all of which is tg/beecode

YOUR TIME-ZONE: AEST/AEDT, (UTC+10/11).

AVERAGE AMOUNT OF HOURS ACTIVE PER WEEK: Depends on test times, despite the timezone I’m able to attend most test hours.

YOUR MOTIVATION: Further expand knowledge of game, branch out to other codebases.

# Why do you think we should accept you over other applicants? Why do you think you are qualified? Why should we trust you?
This admin-applications category is awfully empty…
Because of experience with the convoluted, messy and downright infuriating admin panels, interactions and tools. While Australians that definitely aren’t mad or intoxicated trust me with said admin panels, interactions and tools.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A STAFF MEMBER: Because not only do I want to stop playing the game, but I want to help the codebase grow further, and expand my own knowledge of admin tools.

QUALITIES THAT ARE IMPORTANT FOR A STAFF MEMBER:

• Level-headedness, remaining calm when half the server is ahelping about the plasmafire ripping through the ship.
  • Impartial, being able to assess a situation without bias towards one particular person or party.
  • Good-judgement, capable of making informed decisions on their next actions.
  • Selflessness, you aren’t the centre of the round, delegate mini-events as midround ghosts.

#1 When is it okay to Adminbus?
As a general rule of thumb, it is good to ask yourself the question: “does x adminbus have a good chance of ruining someones round?”
Players having their round be ruined is something you should try to avoid. Giving the chaplain a flashdark for his sacrifice of a monkey is a good example of something that has next-to-zero chance to ruin someones round. Spawning a nukeop with a mech is almost certainly going to ruin some-- probably many-- people’s round.
Being more specific, Extended rounds-- where everything is usually slightly more calmer-- it may be a good idea to keep the round from becoming boring with next-to-harmless mini-events, fun AI/Cyborg ion laws, or incentivising players to complete a custom objective.
On secret, and other modes, chances are that the round will play itself, in this case it’s unwise to interfere with the ship, the same applies even for perceived, but non-existent threats, such as a false ‘AI malf!’ call on radio.

#2 What is the purpose of antagonists and how much freedom should they have?
Antagonists should have a large amount of freedom when it comes to completing their assigned objectives. However, most non-midround antagonists should not be incentivied to ruin the round for other players (i.e plasmaflooding, murder-sprees.)
Other antagonist types (Midrounders such as Nukeops, Xenomorphs, etc…) have it be in their own job title to antagonize the crew with murderous intent. They should be allowed to do so, but as for the standard, regular syndicate sleeper agent tasked with stealing documents then leaving? It shouldn’t.

#3 What would you do if you were accused of abusing your power / being unfair and how would you react?
As much as it seems to be something thats only taught in customer service: Assume they’re right. See-- from their point of view-- what you did wrong, and how you were unfair. Did you miss a few key logs that changed the whole situation? Did some major fact of the altercation pass you by?
In the case that you are in the wrong. Admitting straight away that you made a mistake, apologising, and correcting-- where possible-- is usually the most efficient and simple way to fix the error that you made.
Getting into long, drawn-out arguments over doing something questionable wastes time, in the case you are wrong, you have achieved nothing but lengthen the investigation, and in the case you’re right, the same action is bound to be done again by another admin, only to be, yet again, reported on forums as abusive. Learn why they are angry at your actions, and learn from it, regardless if you were in the right or wrong.

#4 What do you think qualifies as an abuse of power?
Again, as before, ‘Does an act of yours have a good chance of ruining somebodies round?’ is a very good question to ask.
Detailing further, are the actions of the person who is allegedly abusing their power intentionally trying to derail the round, or ruin someone’s round experience?
Actions that could be considered abuses of power have to have intent behind them. If someone used their powers, thinking they were rectifying something, only to realise that they had unintentionally ruined somebodies round, it should be relegated with apologies.
However, if someones allegedly abusive actions are with clear intent to do harm and damage someones experience, further action should be taken.

#5 What is the purpose of staff and how do you think they should act?
Staff should act in a way that is impartial, polite and honest.
Impartial as in considerate of everyone involved. Taking recounts, from everyone who was involved, of an event that needs investigation and judging them fairly. Not ignorant of someones opinion or point or flat-out rejecting objections and explanations.
Polite, as in fairness and approachability, being able to interact with the players themselves in a manner that does not antagonize you or them. Not acting like a beepsky of rule-lawyering, or being abrasive to the playerbase in your attitude.
Honest, admitting when you’re wrong, clarity to people who may ask for assistance. Not insisting constantly that you are always right, equally not antagonizing the people who disagree with you.

I’m off to continue plotting the invasion of NSV by Australia, good day to you.

2 Likes

We understand that you’re still an admin with AUstation. How do you see yourself dividing/distributing your time between the two servers given the time obligations implied with admin ranks?

Austation often has a specific timeframe where it actually has any players to do rounds.

The players begin to trickle in around 4pm, and its peak population (whether that be 20-30 as of right now, or 60-70 some good few months ago) usually occurs at 6-7pm AEST. Usually being below 5 players just after ~10pm

Even with 60-70 players at its peak, Austation only had an actual, playing-round time of around 6 hours a day.

As for NSV, its on a completely different timeframe, tests are currently ongoing in morning hours, as compared to the evening, the two uptimes don’t clash between eachother.

if NSV were to be up 24/7, I’d still be able to divide time between the two.

I’ve decided against following this application right now. Didn’t expect some real-life issues to kick in.

I can’t delete or mark this to be closed, or at least I don’t know how.

No worries, we understand that life happens. Thank you for showing your interest.