[Bloons3] - TheMaggotGuy - Bad Name - //expired//

IC NAME: Dick Finger
BYOND KEY: The_Maggot_Guy
DATE OF BAN: 2020-10-22
DURATION OF BAN: 1 Day

ADMIN BYOND KEY: bloons3
REASON FOR BAN: Bean
Used named of “Dick Finger” on NSV, which is a Roleplay R3 break. Was asked to pick another name not involving a play on words, requested “Rick Finger”.

YOUR APPEAL: I recognize that “Dick Finger” is not allowed, but it’s a classic SS13 name of mine and I try it on any new server I join. I got bwoinked for it after a few rounds, and after some protesting (had had 0 problems with it ICK or OOC even after doing 3-4 ahelps and rounds meaning I assumed the admins would’ve seen it and said something,) I submit, and suggest the compromise name of “Harry Finger”, which worked on the Beestation servers and was fine there, assuming it will be fine here as well. Bloons tells me that that name is only ok on Bee and that this is NSV and tells me to pick something that’s not a play on words.

After thinking a bit, I offer up “Rick Finger” because that’s not really a pun name and I like the sound of it. I get no response, and, after skating around and looking for the canteen, end up getting into a conflict with somebody tiding into a room to “see what it does” (referring to the panels in there). Suddenly my game locks up, and I realize I’ve been banned.

ADDITIONAL INFO: The Finger last name is based on Larry W. Finger, the guy who discovered Fingerite, the rarest mineral on earth after I saw it on an episode of SciShow on Youtube.

Also making the ban appeal exclude my other name suggestion, making it look like I’m a shitter who immediately jumped to what is essentially the same name, along with not just saying “hey that name doesn’t work either” is a bit scuffed.

[2020-10-22 04:39:53.724] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Bloons3/(NULLPTR)->The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger): Really?
[2020-10-22 04:40:00.972] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger)->Bloons3/(NULLPTR): what
[2020-10-22 04:40:08.037] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Bloons3/(NULLPTR)->The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger): “Dick Finger”?
[2020-10-22 04:40:25.559] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger)->Bloons3/(NULLPTR): yeah ive ahelped many things and not once has anyone had a problem
[2020-10-22 04:43:42.828] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Bloons3/(NULLPTR)->The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger): it’s not a name that’s gonna work on NSV
[2020-10-22 04:43:44.873] ADMIN: Bloons3/(NULLPTR) checked the individual player panel for The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger).
[2020-10-22 04:44:07.952] ADMINPRIVATE: Bloons3/(NULLPTR) has created a note for The Maggot Guy: Name of “Dick Finger” on NSV, warned
[2020-10-22 04:44:10.233] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger)->Bloons3/(NULLPTR): it's worked so far. literally nobody has had any complaints. not a single admin.
[2020-10-22 04:45:21.482] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Bloons3/(NULLPTR)->The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger): I’m talking with the NSV admins, and they don’t think it is appropriate. What would you like your new name to be?
[2020-10-22 04:45:36.474] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger)->Bloons3/(NULLPTR): Harry Finger
[2020-10-22 04:46:00.421] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Bloons3/(NULLPTR)->The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger): Anything that isn’t a play on words. You know better
[2020-10-22 04:46:19.205] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger)->Bloons3/(NULLPTR): Harry Finger is literally fine on Bee MRP
[2020-10-22 04:46:44.276] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Bloons3/(NULLPTR)->The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger): That’s on Bee, this is NSV
[2020-10-22 04:46:56.845] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger)->Bloons3/(NULLPTR): Why can't I be harry Finger
[2020-10-22 04:47:24.608] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Bloons3/(NULLPTR)->The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger): because your current name is “Dick Finger”, so anything that seems to be a play on words involving Finger won’t work
[2020-10-22 04:48:01.593] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: The Maggot Guy/(Dick Finger)->Bloons3/(NULLPTR): Rick Finger

Anything involving “Finger” wasn’t going to work.

Why not? And why not say that? When you said

I thought you meant “nothing that’s a play on words especially if it’s got Finger in it” not

1. Dick Finger
  • Inappropriate
  1. Harry Finger
  • Play on words of “Hairy Finger”
  1. Rick Finger
  • 1 letter away from “Dick Finger”, which really just seemed to be done out of spite to be ‘funny’.

I apologize as that was not the intention. If you had said no to that as well I would have come up with something different. Why will finger not work?

NSV is more strictly enforced MRP than bee.
You will get away with less abuse and toeing the line of rules here than you do on Bee.

You know it’s wrong. Do not.

I recognize that, but the intent was not to toe the line beyond when I was trying to determine if “Dick Finger” was allowed. I would’ve been fine finding something other than Rick Finger had I been given the chance, and I’m still fine with it now. I wasn’t trying to bend the rules here. I just want to pick an old 50’s first name like “Frank” or “Hank” or “Harry” or something with the last name Finger. How about Frank Finger. Does that work?

I’ll trust that this is in good faith, but find a character name that doesn’t involve “Finger” to play with.

Why is “Finger” not allowed?

The first name that you joined with was flagrantly against the rules, and you knew that.
I’m not here to debate the minutiae of the rules with you.
There’s no algorithm for what makes a name appropriate or not.

Allowing you to use anything referencing “Dick Finger” would be allowing rule lawyering. Find something else to call yourself.

why would anyone think “hank finger” is a reference to “Dick Finger”

If someone can literally use the last name “Hooker” why can I not use the last name “Finger”

Because I no longer trust that any name you select with a possible double entendre would be by accident.

Ok but literally there’s a guy named Vlad Hunt. Why is “Frank Finger” completely out of the question?

Archiving due to this being exceptionally old and past the end of the ban duration.

Final remarks: The reason why it was not acceptable to rename your character to the options that you provided is that it was the same play on words that you were attempting in the first place, and admins generally don’t let you step from one part of the line onto another part of the line and then just set you free.