Admin application - Ansome //FORFEIT//

BYOND KEY: Ansome
DISCORD ID: Ansome#9771
USUAL IC HANDLE: Joe “Gallus Aerusi” Czanek
EXPERIENCE WITH SS13: 6 months.
EXPERIENCE WITH ADMINISTRATION IN SS13: Literally nothing aside from reading the wiki page from TG, which is outdated, and playing with the admin tools on my own time.
YOUR TIME-ZONE: GMT-7
AVERAGE AMOUNT OF HOURS ACTIVE PER WEEK: Varies - present for almost every test with but an hour nap in the middle of each.
YOUR MOTIVATION: Amidst the plethora of server options for playing SS13, NSV13 has by and large the most welcoming community for new members as well as a very strong set of mechanics behind it and a modern feel to an otherwise ancient game.
Why do you think we should accept you over other applicants? Why do you think you are qualified? Why should we trust you?
Despite my seemingly lackluster experience, you can be sure of my dedication to my duty as admin, my eagerness and the speed to which I learn, and my honesty. With me, word is bond.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A STAFF MEMBER: I feel that after doing work as a mentor, aiding to fix the wiki, and providing feedback features that I would be able to help best in an administration role due to my level-headedness.
QUALITIES THAT ARE IMPORTANT FOR A STAFF MEMBER: Patience, rationality, transparency, and most of all good decision-making skills.

#1 When is it okay to Adminbus?
The scale of Adminbus powers is such that great care must be used to avoid negatively affecting an individual’s round or, even worse, derailing a round entirely. Although SS13 is a greatly random and exciting game, at times it does get repetitive, slow, or otherwise fails to keep motion with its tone. A small push from an admin can keep the round entertaining for all involved. Furthermore, acknowledging a chaplain’s bizarre religion or sending central command reports can aid in making a round feel alive. Larger scale interference that could potentially derail a round or has high risks is subject to the approval of the acting headmin of the round.

#2 What is the purpose of antagonists and how much freedom should they have?
The antagonist is the lifeblood of the round and as such has special privileges granted to them, however, these too are limited. The most common area an antagonist oversteps is murderbone or failing to justify the murder of an individual. While traitors, changelings, and related antagonists should only murder their targets, those in the way of their target, or a few sparse individuals caught in an assassination attempt, rampant murder is not within their freedoms. Mid-round antagonists, a milder form of their roundstart counterparts have tighter restrictions in that most do not require or promote murder of any sort and should only add excitement to the round and not be a primary threat. The only antagonists authorized for murderbone are nuclear operatives or equivelant. Murderbone MAY be acceptable for an antagonist if apart of a gimmick approved by admins, should it not hamper the general enjoyment of the round, but these are far and few between.

#3 What would you do if you were accused of abusing your power / being unfair and how would you react?
This is among the most important accusation an admin can receive and should be innately treated as just and investigated. For such a case, attempting to see through the viewpoint of the person in question and looking through the logs would be my first course of action, followed by checking with fellow players and more importantly, fellow administrators. If found to be in the wrong, an apology is in order immediately and a lesson is to be learned. If a false accusation, there may yet be something to garner from it to prevent further mistakes such as this.

#4 What do you think qualifies as an abuse of power?
Any use of admin powers with the intent to give benefit to themself if playing deadmin, or purposely negatively effecting the round of a player.

#5 What is the purpose of staff and how do you think they should act?
Staff members, above all, are there to ensure that rounds flow smoothly and are enjoyable for all involved. To achieve this, they should act calm and collected to best settle disputes and admin-helps and keep their interjection in the round to a minimum.

Application reads well. I hope you’re aware that as an admin your playtime will be essentially halved, if not more; make sure you’re okay with that. Otherwise, a +1 from me.

Just something that personally interests me: could you elaborate on what one of those large-scale adminbus events would be from you?

1 Like

As much of a meme Czanek is, this app’s nice and I think you’d be a pretty good admin, if you’re willing to see your playtime get destroyed (but who wants to play this awful game anyway…)

+1 from me

1/3rd playtime would be fine with me, I’ve mustered 139 hours non-ghost, 150 total now, not including experimental. For a large-scale Adminbus event it varies depending on the situation or the plan proposed. Could range from spawning more traitors with special objectives, sending the ship to some strange sector with more enemy ships in wait and some unique dialogue, or spawning a special item into the round with the objective of having it be protected from traitors, the chaos of the round, and those who will inevitably attempt to steal it. Although most of our rounds are non-canon, I’d likely try my best to be as close to probable in the lore as I could.

+1

Well formatted, to the point, and the kerning makes it look like you said “somethjing to be gamer from it” in question #3. Also, the point about transparency is a huge plus in my book, although some elaboration on it would be nice.
Oh, not to mention how impactful Czanek has been on the server. (I’m pretty sure that once he retires he’s gonna be part of official lore.)

Sure thing! Transparency is a big trait for me that I look for in other people as well. I feel that in any role, especially ones with the capability of abuse of their privileges, I should be ready to explain my actions and conduct to both other administrators and to the general public as needed. I simply feel that communicating well with the community builds trust with the administration. Also yeah, I didn’t notice that the kerning messed with the word “Garner” until just now. But hey, sometimes you have to be a “gamer” to learn. :sunglasses:

The application reads well, even if it seems like a meme at some points. If you’re really sure about this I don’t see any blatantly obvious reasons to object. +1

Forfeited application due to taking a job with the crown becoming a community representative.