[Altangy] - Job ban from command roles (Captain, XO, CE, RD, CMO, HoS, MAA) //DENIED//

IC NAME: Dylan Ewing
BYOND KEY: terrariola
DATE OF BAN: September 11th, 2022
DURATION OF BAN: Permanent

ADMIN BYOND KEY: Altangy
REASON FOR BAN: Unfit for command roles
YOUR APPEAL: The reason for the ban is vague at best. I asked for clarification from the banning admin - they said I had continuously ran close to breaking rule 6 (which, at least in my opinion, at least deserves an admin note before a permanent job ban, but I digress). Let me elaborate further on the context behind this ban, and why I feel it is less-than-justified:

Not once had I actually intended on “spoiling the fun for other people”, and if I actually had done so, I would have happily issued an apology and accepted advice from admins on how to improve - alas, no admin actually did that. Furthermore, the banning admin justified their actions by claiming I “beat the shit out of my crew” and that that was the “first thing they saw when they logged into the round”, failing to question anyone involved and thus failing to realize that we were simply playing around with pool noodles and finger guns in addition to various stam-damaging “weaponry”, and that the blood on the floor was from the bridge staff beating themselves up (for reasons they did not explain). Not once did I intentionally wound a member of my crew.

Now, it should also be recognized that I am fairly new to NSV - I am not new SS13 by any means (I have been actively playing SS13 since 2020), but most of my playtime has been on /tg/, Civ13, Singulo, and TGMC, so I am fairly inexperienced at NSV-specific features, such as the bridge navigation, helm, and tactical consoles - not to mention munitions - I play to learn these things, and typically join as higher-ranking crew while learning these things if the pop is low (and, indeed, the round initially started with 5 players and absolutely no command staff or bridge staff to speak of besides me).

Additionally, I was bwoinked for failing to ahelp a mutiny prior to my jobban, and I would like to address that - I did not intentionally start a mutiny. Here’s the story behind that:
The Captain entered the station a few minutes before we were to complete our first mission, around 3.8-3.9 hours into the round. I, on the other hand, had been there since roundstart. A few minutes in, he ordered I come to my office to be demoted (to Clown, “funnily” enough), for, frankly, inexplicable reasons.
I attempted to talk things out, but, presumably viewing my failure to follow his orders to the letter as an attempt at mutiny, he decided to charge at me with his pistol and baton. I shovestunned him into the wall and took his weapons as a response, before stunning him and attempting to give back his weapons as a show of good faith (I still intended to talk things out…), but once he got back up, he decided to stun me again (in hindsight, I should have expected this), after which the admins decided to blow me up and tell me I had to ahelp mutinies. I hastily responded “I had no intention of mutiny.”, and was in the middle of writing a lengthier response explaining what I was doing, when I got jobbanned. I hastily pressed my return key a couple seconds after the jobban, and began writing a new response, when the ticket was closed.

Mutiny is not failure to follow orders, mutiny is an attempt to overthrow your commanding officer - which I had no intention of doing, merely roleplaying my way out of a wholly unjustified demotion based on continuous misunderstandings due to a lack of context on behalf of the Captain (which, frankly, I do not blame them for). I see how it could be misinterpreted as mutiny, however, so I don’t blame the admins for the initial bwoink.

Finally, with regards to chat, I was roleplaying a frustrated, quick-to-anger commander sick of their subordinates’ complete and utter incompetence - which, if the admins had actually joined a couple hours earlier, they absolutely would have understood, given the fact it took 30 minutes of me screaming for someone to spool the FTL for someone to actually spool it - particularly given the fact that the one who eventually ended up spooling it was myself. This could only be seen as “dickish” behavior if an admin fails to separate OOC behavior from IC behavior, which frankly reflects worse on the admin team than on anyone else, which is why I won’t elaborate on this point any further.

Feel free to question me further regarding this or prior rounds, I am happy to answer any questions, and I am additionally glad to take any advice from the staff team on how to improve my roleplaying, gameplay, or OOC experience/behavior. Thanks in advance. -Terra1.

As the captain of that round, I’d like to tell you some things. But before, I’m not native English talker, so my text can be pretty primitive in compared to yours.
So the reason why I was wanted to demote you is simple:
-4h round yet under your command you only finished one objective from three delive objectives. They’re pretty easy and I don’t know why this takes that long to complete to ya, especially knowing this is official White Rapids objectives which you MUST complete, yea
-You doesn’t care about your crew, isn’t it’s your words in respons to my complaint about dead crewmember on the ship hull? It was literally first thing I’ve seen and for me technically counts as murder. Because, fun fact, he wasn’t even soulless

The next thing I want to say and add is that I didn’t just came and told him to proceed to XOs office for demotion. Yes, I’ve mentioned that he going to be demoted yet I wanted to collect more reason. Then of course XO started to complain how he’s sick and wants to go home, that we doesn’t need to pick another objectives. We’ll, if you doesn’t want to continue playing this round and feel sick, which is i understand, you can just put your things back to locker and go to cryo. Crew will select captain for themselves or new Captain/XO will arrive, it is very simple thing. Fun fact for ya, I didn’t rushed on you with pistol and baton, I just walk into CIC and stayed near consoles to in more rude form tell you to proceed into your office. In addition, if you not sure how to control ship or work with TAC tactical consol, better ask crew if someone qualified for CIC operations(And also you can assign squad for CIC operations). Last thing is: if crew doesn’t hear you, as you said, can’t spool FTL drive more than in 30 mins, you always can do it by yourself especially as the XO. It’s not a problem and no reason to be mad, since huh, technically round doesn’t had any engineers so you must expect to do things by yourself. Fin

2 Likes

Security file; Dylan Ewing
Former command staff
During said round, you accumulated the following charges;

• Assault of multiple munitions crewmen
  • Bombing threats against Munitions over Common channel
  • Behaviour unbecoming of a Command position
  • Attempts to rise yourself above the law.
  • Outright demanding (While in jail) to be labelled an Enemy of the Corp

In your defense you stated;

• The munitions staff were, and i quote “Incompetent and abandoning their posts”
  • The bomb threats were a joke
  • Was “Roleplaying as a quick to anger officer”
  • Justified your law-dodging with “The security insulting me”
  • Deemed it reasonable to declare yourself an EOC “So we would get a trial”

In general, your behaviour is much more suited for lower-ranking roles, a Medic for the Marines maybe, or a Clown, both of which are still available to you.
Both also have less access and responsibility to the ship, as it seemed you could not handle the increased access and power as XO.

You failed to simply spool the FTL yourself.
You consistently deleted security records or editing them to “wash” yourself from any blame.
Instead of tutoring, instructing or leading, you berated, beat and threatened them.
You consistently dodged all other blame with “It was THEIR fault” or “It was a joke”, very much Un-XO-ey.

In general, you just don’t seem to enjoy or want to lead.

1 Like

This is going to be a long one…

You failed to simply spool the FTL yourself.

It’s my job to assign other people jobs. I had assigned someone else that job, and they had decided to abandon their post. Therefore, it would have been a violation of the roleplaying rules to spool it myself without at least trying to tell them to do it first.

You consistently deleted security records or editing them to “wash” yourself from any blame.

Because the Warden was assigning me frivolous fines for random bullshit.

Instead of tutoring, instructing or leading, you berated, beat and threatened them.

I gave orders, as was my job as an officer. Nobody asked for help, as far as I can remember.
If we had a staffed security department besides a single warden, I would have assigned them arrest warrants for dereliction of duty.

You consistently dodged all other blame with “It was THEIR fault"

Do you expect me to lie by saying it wasn’t?

or “It was a joke"

What.

Was “Roleplaying as a quick to anger officer”

I was playing a believable character. It would have been poor roleplay not to be utterly infuriated at your subordinates’ utter incompetence.

The bomb threats were a joke

Bad wording on my part. It was an exaggerated threat (see: Full Metal Jacket).

Deemed it reasonable to declare yourself an EOC “So we would get a trial”

First of all, it was so I would get a trial. Secondly, what did you expect me to do? Wait out the sentence and thus abandon my post and duties as XO?

In general, your behaviour is much more suited for lower-ranking roles, a Medic for the Marines maybe, or a Clown, both of which are still available to you.

“My behavior” in that round was as an XO. If I chose a different job, “my behavior” would be entirely different.
Do you expect every single officer to be entirely calm, collected, and respectful whilst their subordinates are regularly and clearly demonstrating their utter failure at performing even the most basic of duties?

I swear to god, my crew in that fucking round was less capable of following basic orders than the average squad on fucking TGMC, and their staff have literally removed MPs and Space Law from the game entirely…

In general, you just don’t seem to enjoy or want to lead.

Why else would I be appealing this?

4h round yet under your command you only finished one objective from three delive objectives. They’re pretty easy and I don’t know why this takes that long to complete to ya, especially knowing this is official White Rapids objectives which you MUST complete, yea

So you should have asked why it took so long, not just impulsively order a demotion…

You doesn’t care about your crew, isn’t it’s your words in respons to my complaint about dead crewmember on the ship hull? It was literally first thing I’ve seen and for me technically counts as murder. Because, fun fact, he wasn’t even soulless

What I meant was that it was not top priority. I was not going to immediately drop my duties completing our final objective to rescue some random dude out in space. If I was not so (OOC) focused on reading the wiki to figure out how the hell you build a freight torpedo, I would have used the *sigh emote to convey this.

Additionally, by your own words, it was the first thing you saw. You had no idea what happened prior, so you should have asked for context - not just impulsively decided the correct course of action was to demote the ship’s prior commanding officer.

The next thing I want to say and add is that I didn’t just came and told him to proceed to XOs office for demotion. Yes, I’ve mentioned that he going to be demoted yet I wanted to collect more reason. Then of course XO started to complain how he’s sick and wants to go home, that we doesn’t need to pick another objectives. We’ll, if you doesn’t want to continue playing this round and feel sick, which is i understand, you can just put your things back to locker and go to cryo.

The round had been going on for four fucking hours. I was about to go to cryo, but decided to play out the rest of the round instead.

Fun fact for ya, I didn’t rushed on you with pistol and baton.

Yes you did.

In addition, if you not sure how to control ship or work with TAC tactical consol

I do know how. Bridge officer was, like, the third job I played after midshipman and station engineer when I first joined NSV.

technically round doesn’t had any engineers so you must expect to do things by yourself

I had assigned some munitions techs to engineering, and explicitly told them that their one job outside of combat was to spool the FTL. So, while we didn’t have engineers, we had dedicated FTL spoolers.

The mental gymnastics of lying about being an EOC as a member of command to get a trial is insane enough, but the disrespect, the utter lack of composure as an XO to just deflect everything onto others. Why?

Why do you even want to be command? Or, a better question, who besides yourself benefited from you being in command? The person that died on your watch and that you summarily ignored probably doesn’t. The munitions staff you berated, assaulted, and shifted the blame to probably doesn’t. The warden didn’t, that’s for sure; your record was as colorful as the language you used at every opportunity.

Your “quick-to-anger” attitude, in practice, was just you attacking or raging at people that tried to hold you accountable. You claim to hate incompetence, but by your own admission you’d neglect duties that no one else performed. Your “roleplay” was you roleplaying an unfit officer that antagonized the crew. Even if I assume you’re telling the truth, your response to the FTL not being handled was to shrug, defer to others, and just ignore the problem. “I told them munitions staff to handle it. It’s all their fault nothing gets done! *whistles” - BAD LEADER.

You even screwed with the security record instead of addressing the Warden. If you really thought the charges were, “frivolous,” then you would contact Centcomm or ahelp it instead of tampering with the security record. But something tells me the assault charges, EOC claim, and dereliction of duty would have stuck anyway.

Just the bomb threat as command would be enough for a demote, but you resisted it tooth and nail even though you knew that IC, you had backed yourself into a corner. We expect you to have some sense of respect and dignity when playing the officer. If you get demoted, you are demoted. You had no duties as an officer, because you weren’t an acting officer anymore.

TL:DR If your behavior shifts when you play different roles, then this command ban is great for you, because the way you played command should’ve gotten you tempbanned.

2 Likes

The mental gymnastics of lying about being an EOC as a member of command to get a trial is insane enough

I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately, it’s the only way I saw at the time to actually get a fair trial.

Or, a better question, who besides yourself benefited from you being in command?

The vessel and its crew.

The person that died on your watch and that you summarily ignored probably doesn’t.

Many, many people die in the average round. It’s not the XO’s job to drop everything to go and recover their body from space when there are numerous other people with far less important duties who could do the exact same thing - and most likely already have a damned space suit.

Your “quick-to-anger” attitude, in practice, was just you attacking or raging at people that tried to hold you accountable. You claim to hate incompetence, but by your own admission you’d neglect duties that no one else performed.

General roleplay rules, rule 4, “Don’t break into departments to do their jobs if there is someone manning the department that you need something from”. I had assigned people to do specific duties, and for me to do their job would be improper from a roleplaying perspective.

Your “roleplay” was you roleplaying an unfit officer that antagonized the crew.

Roleplay rule 1 - they did not follow orders.

If you really thought the charges were, “frivolous,” then you would contact Centcomm or ahelp it instead of tampering with the security record.

It was a fairly lowpop round with a Warden who kept piling on nonsensical charges over nothing. Did I mention that they stole my ion sabre and demanded that I hand them “raisins” to return it?

If you get demoted, you are demoted. You had no duties as an officer, because you weren’t an acting officer anymore.

And at no point did I act as if I was not demoted. Furthermore, I actually asked the player who played the Captain why they demoted me after the round was over, and it was not for any of the above reasons, but simply because “it had been 4 hours and you had not completed your initial objectives” - something which I suspected in the round itself, and wanted to request an audience with the Captain to explain. Alas, they charged at me with weapons.

In what way?

Post must be 20 characters

Untrue many many people do not typically die per round and the solution here is not to ignore them you call out on radio

Nobody said you must do it by yourself. As a command you have to, well, COMMAND

In what way?

By being present. No-one joined as Captain or Bridge Staff until an hour in, meaning I was the only person who was actually able to give orders. And I gave good, proper, and entirely reasonable orders - it’s not my fault that the rest of the crew failed to follow them.

Untrue many many people do not typically die per round and the solution here is not to ignore them you call out on radio

I did not ignore them. I also did not discover the body - the Captain did and then told me about it, meaning that they should be the one to call them out on radio.

Nobody said you must do it by yourself. As a command you have to, well, COMMAND

I do have a vague memory of ordering medical staff or another person to recover the body, though my memory is a bit fuzzy (after all, it’s been over a week), so logs might not back this statement. Regardless, the Captain found the body, not me.

Being present does not mean a positive change a crew with no captain can still operate and holy shit your so dumb I can’t even understand it your argument is literally ITS NOT MY FAULT ITS EVERYONE ELSES

Bebes summarized the reason for your ban in a better way than the other two drafts I lost while working on fixing my web client. Anyway, appeal denied