Blue89962 - Admin Application

BYOND KEY: Blue89962

DISCORD ID: blue89962#1665

USUAL IC HANDLE: Camila Garratt, G.I.N.D.I.S.I. when playing borg

EXPERIENCE WITH SS13: Used to play a lot on /tg/ a few years ago before I dropped the game for a good while. Came back just over one year ago and started playing mostly on bee and hopped to NSV after I heard about it during a conversation. Got ~250 living hours here.

EXPERIENCE WITH ADMINISTRATION IN SS13: Other than knowing some of the admin tools from hosting a server to play with my friends, none.

YOUR TIME-ZONE: GMT-3

AVERAGE AMOUNT OF HOURS ACTIVE PER WEEK: 14h+, although most of it on weekends due to classes during the week.

YOUR MOTIVATION: NSV was the first time I got this involved in a SS13 server; I really appreciate all the work the team put into the game, and I’d like to contribute to the server and the team in this way if possible.

Why do you think we should accept you over other applicants? Why do you think you are qualified? Why should we trust you?
I deem myself to be someone who is capable of handling most situations in a fair manner, having conscience that my actions will obviously result in consequences for another person. With NSV being something that I genuinely enjoy, I would definitely do my best at helping in the ways I’m able to. Plus, in my view, my time as a mentor has helped me learn how to better interact with the playerbase in general.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A STAFF MEMBER: Being honest, my motivations are almost the same as when I decided to apply for mentorship. NSV is a server and community that I’ve grown to be fond of, and I’d like to be able to help the team that keeps the show running by offering an extra hand.

QUALITIES THAT ARE IMPORTANT FOR A STAFF MEMBER: While a staff member must have the capability to fairly manage the situations that will inevitably show up, they also need to have a good sense of what is good for the community they’re part of. This is especially important in a game like SS13, where the players are what makes the game what it is. Being able to interact and communicate with the aforementioned community is also necessary - this way they will have a much better idea on how to deal with anything that might happen. An uncommunicative staff member may be just as bad - if not worse - than having no staff at all.

#1 When is it okay to Adminbus? It’s something that’s better being rather uncommon - Most of the times most people just want to enjoy a normal round. Of course, more “spicy” rounds tend to always be fun, however, it being a rare occurance adds to the “magic” that those shifts have. Too much adminbus can get boring and in the worse cases, annoying.

#2 What is the purpose of antagonists and how much freedom should they have? Most people don’t enjoy having the exact same shift over and over again - and that’s perfectly understandable. Antags are in the game so every round won’t be the same - you never know how the next time will be, and that is one of the best aspects of SS13. They should have enough freedom to complete their objectives and give the crew an interesting and unique experience. However, when they start creating needless chaos by, for example, blowing up departments and/or killing people with absolutely no relation to their objectives, it stops being fun for everyone other than the antagonist themselves.

#3 What would you do if you were accused of abusing your power / being unfair and how would you react? I believe the most important thing to do in this scenario would be to get as much information from both sides as possible. While I may not understand how my actions could be considered unfair, it has definitely lead the other party to believe that to be the case. Having their perspective on the situation will help me understand if I was really unfair and give me an idea on how to improve, and them having my perspective could also make them understand why I did such thing. If I was truly wrong in my judgement, I reckon the best course of action would be to apologize and attempt to fix any damage I may have caused.

#4 What do you think qualifies as an abuse of power? Anything that shows a clear bias towards or against someone. Being too harsh with some but too lenient with others when both have done similar things. Unreasonable punishments too - giving a long ban when a chemist accidentaly makes a tiny explosion for example. #5 What is the purpose of staff and how do you think they should act? Their biggest purpose is to make sure the game and its community are in an enjoyable state. Moderation may be seen as annoying sometimes, but it’s a sort of “necessary evil” - they are what keeps the show running from behind the curtains. Most importantly, they need to be good people, who know when to be serious and when to be a little more chill and fun to be around

#5 What is the purpose of staff and how do you think they should act?
Their biggest purpose is to make sure the game and its community are in an enjoyable state. Moderation may be seen as annoying sometimes, but it’s a sort of “necessary evil” - they are what keeps the show running from behind the curtains. Most importantly, they need to be good people, who know when to be serious and when to be a little more chill and fun to be around

~

The reply below is there because I had messed up the first few questions when rewriting and couldn’t figure out how to edit the thread so I added them in a reply. Five seconds after I posted it I spotted the edit button

+1
After meeting with the headmins, we’ve agreed that you would be a good fit for the admin team and welcome you aboard!