Bluewasabi24 - Admin Application //ACCEPTED//

BYOND KEY: bluewasabi24

DISCORD ID: bluewasabi24#9607 (there’s a theme here)

USUAL IC HANDLE: Bellaruna Allenteris (other characters, 4 in total, can be provided upon request)

EXPERIENCE WITH SS13: Over 1k hours in NSV alone. About 30ish hours collectively in other servers.

EXPERIENCE WITH ADMINISTRATION IN SS13: Absolutely nothing. Just whatever I hear from my friends who are/were admins and a little messing around on a private branch strictly for testing purposes.

YOUR TIME-ZONE: MST (UTC-7) | MDT (UTC-6)

AVERAGE AMOUNT OF HOURS ACTIVE PER WEEK: It used to be around 5-15 hours a weekend, but has since died down a bit. I’m looking to ramp that up and go back to my norm, though.

YOUR MOTIVATION: The admins are burnt out, they need a break, they need help, and honestly I’ve been playing around with this admin app for a while. For me, it was never ‘if’ I’ll apply for admin, it’s ‘when’. I’ve grown to love this game, this server, this community, and I know I’m in it for the long haul.

Why do you think we should accept you over other applicants? Why do you think you are qualified? Why should we trust you?: I don’t think you should accept me over other applicants since this isn’t the Hunger Games. I would hope you would analyze each of us individually and see if we would be a good fit for the administration team. Am I qualified, no, not yet at least, but I’m a quick learn and I’m eager to help for a community I care a lot about. Can you trust me? Well, I’ve been in this community for almost 2 years now, and I don’t think I’ve given any of you a reason not to trust me. You’ve been nothing but kind and giving and it would be stupid of me to betray that trust.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A STAFF MEMBER: I want to see this community thrive. I want to help as much anywhere I can. My coding skills are lacking, so while I work on that, I hope I can help provide help elsewhere. I’ve always been a people kinda gal and I live to serve, so I want to serve our playerbase and our staff anywhere I can.

QUALITIES THAT ARE IMPORTANT FOR A STAFF MEMBER: The ability to minimize biases as much as possible, to step in another’s shoes, to understand when to step away, to not be afraid to ask for help or ask questions, to listen and be empathetic, to be firm when you absolutely need to, and to ensure you work with the entirety of the project in mind and not just your own desires.

1. When is it okay to Adminbus?
Admins have a lot of power and should never be used to greatly affect a round unless the general consensus of the crew requests it. Even then, adminbus should only be used if it drives or creates story for the round, the round or existing story cannot move forward without it, or if it’s minuscule and/or harmless to the crew and ship. A gift here or a prank there that does no grand amount of harm is good to spark a lil joy and give someone something to smile about. It’s all about Context. That being said, if a ship is lost directly due to crew actions, the ship is lost. There will always be more rounds and more ships to destroy, and sometimes a story must have The Bad Ending™. We are not the miracle you are looking for, just mostly benevolent gods watching over your pathetic souls.

2. What is the purpose of antagonists and how much freedom should they have?
Antags exist as a monkey wrench to cause variance in rounds and to provide some variety in our normal gameplay loop. Though we have our own outside forces acting upon the crew, an antagonist adds an additional sticking point for the crew to investigate and (hopefully) overcome. Antags should have all the freedom the crew have once they discover the existence of the antag. Though I will always encourage antags to be more creative than just murderboning round start and should keep everyone’s enjoyment of the round in mind, I have to argue that if the crew is allowed to use lethal force upon discovery of the antag, the antag should have the same powers leading up to that point, especially thereafter.

3. What would you do if you were accused of abusing your power / being unfair and how would you react?
I would be offended right off the bat. I think that’s the normal thing to do, and I would allow myself to feel that anger and resentment. However, after I’m done coping, I would take the complaint and, with a clear mind, reflect on my own actions and how the round(s) would’ve played out without my intervention. I would ask for outside opinions from staff and players alike, and adjust from there. Though all feedback should be heard and considered, I respect the choice to ignore the feedback after enough reflection. That being said, 9 times out of 10 I would adjust my actions moving forward given the feedback provided.

4. What do you think qualifies as an abuse of power?
Playing favorites with players and crew, adminbusing that greatly affects a round that literally no one asked for or the majority of the crew didn’t ask for, interfering with a player-generated story or conflict, causing incredible amounts of damage to the ship 4noraisin, killing a large amount of crew 4noraisin, gibbing Ian 4noraisin, actively using admin powers while playing in-round strictly for my benefit, etc

5. What is the purpose of staff and how do you think they should act?
The purpose of staff is, foremost, to serve and maintain the project. We’re all here giving our time and energy for a free game, after all, and none of us want to see it fall apart and fade away. That does mean working with and listening to the player base because, after all, without a player base we don’t have a game to play, but that does mean we must hold our players to the standard we want for our project. We have to hold everyone accountable, staff and players included, and we need to do so with utmost respect. After all, we set the tone and the standard for what we want to see, and whether they know it or admit it, the players look to staff in the same light.

2 Likes

Having received several commendations, it would seem this is //ACCEPTED//
Don’t forget to bring your own CopeCage :tm:

2 Likes