God | Mining Gang Fern - Admin Application -- //DENIED-STALE//

BYOND KEY: Theboy6545

DISCORD ID: God the 2th #8666

USUAL IC HANDLE: Fern Brooks

EXPERIENCE WITH SS13: Joined ss13 around january, played exclusively beestation or its downstreams.

EXPERIENCE WITH ADMINISTRATION IN SS13: None.

YOUR TIME-ZONE: GMT

AVERAGE AMOUNT OF HOURS ACTIVE PER WEEK: Unsure due to school and server not being up, if I had to guess, around 10 hours a week? (would increase dramatically when I’m on break)

YOUR MOTIVATION: I’ve heard admins (specifically Ansome) Complaining about how they have to admin alone, I would also like to assist in helping NSV grow.

Why do you think we should accept you over other applicants: I have mentoring experience, and have been a very active member in the community.

Why do you think you are qualified: I have mentorship experience, and have spent a fair amount of time playing this server.

Why should we trust you: I have been playing NSV for a while, and mentoring for a hot minute. Despite some slip ups on the discord, I believe I am relatively trustworthy.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A STAFF MEMBER: I want to help the other admins with handling AHELPS and discord moderation.

QUALITIES THAT ARE IMPORTANT FOR A STAFF MEMBER: Staff members should be honest, efficient and polite.

#1 When is it okay to Adminbus: Adminbus can be used to bring spice to a round, or to set up an event for the players to enjoy, for example, spawning a large fleet of ships to fight through for an event.

#2 What is the purpose of antagonists and how much freedom should they have: The job of antags is to keep the crew looking over their shoulder, to help prevent the round becoming tedium, however they often need reigning in as with the equipment they are given, they can cause massive damage.

#3 What would you do if you were accused of abusing your power / being unfair and how would you react: i would ask another admin of equal or higher rank to act as an impartial third party, listen to the complaints issued, then respond accordingly and truthfully.

#4 What do you think qualifies as an abuse of power: Using the powers you have been entrusted with to do things that a normal player could not normally do for their own personal gain. For example, using teleport to turf to escape the brig, or spawning weapons not normally assessable to the role they are playing.

#5 What is the purpose of staff and how do you think they should act: Staff are effectively the managers of the server, handling bugs, finding solutions to problems the player base are suffering from, rule enforcement, and other odds and ends.

1 Like

Alright, a few questions.

Are you at/above the age of 18?

Do you have a microphone for voice comms with other admins, or would you only be talking through asay?

You’re admin on server, you’ve been going through an investigation and the person who initiated the ticket that sparked it murders someone, to you seemingly at random. What do you do?

You are once again admin on server. You have come across an antag who’s killed everyone in their department without any of them being targets or specific witnesses. What actions do you take and what punishment would you think is just if you determine there should be one?

#1) Yes.
#2) I have a mic, but its not great, can still understand me well enough however.
As for the other two questions, I’m not sure how to answer due to not knowing what tools I would have at my disposal

Right, sorry for the delay on this. Tools that you would have access to would include attack, say, and game logs in addition to notes, cc ban database, and the admin PM action.

Alright, for question one i would:

1. First i would check attack logs to see if they really did attack first.
  2. If they did, i would check say to see if they had a valid reason to attack them
  3. If they don’t have a valid reason, I would bwoink them and ask them why they attacked the other person.
  4. If their reason wasn’t good enough for killing the other person, i would look over their notes and the CC ban database and decide on my punishment. (If they have no notes and nothing on CC, probably let them off with a note.).

As for question 2, I would:

1. Check attack and say logs to see if they had a reason to kill them (IE, needed to get plasma from toxins and they were in the way)
  2. If they do not have a valid reason that’s clear from the logs, I would bwoink them asking why they killed their whole department.
  3. If they do not have a reason/it’s not a good reason, I would look over CC and their notes to see if they have done this before or if this the first time, and punish them accordingly. (If they have done this multiple times, a day ban might be called for)

For question 2 we’ll say you’ve been orbiting the antag for a little while, you’ve seen them go through the same process of leading someone into a secluded area and then killing them. Once again, these people that the antag has killed were not targets. What do you think would be a good punishment? Let’s say they’re relatively new to the server with just over 20 hours.

Alright, I would:

1. I would bwoink them, ask why they killed them
  2. If they had a good reason, I would just note them, however, if their reason was not good enough, I would give them a punishment that is deserving (EG: if this was their first offence, I would ban them for a few hours to give them time to cool off, but if they had a long list of notes, I would give them a ,multi day/perma ban.

Fun procedural question. You are in the middle of investigating someone, you’ve opened a ticket (ahelp) with them, and they’ve disconnected. What do you do, when do you do it, and in what order?

From what I have seen(on beestation), if it is a rulebreak, it is a straight permaban. If its for a bug or something else, i would just close the ticket.

Overall I feel that there’s a bit of lack in depth to the answers provided. I’m sure that some of this is due to not having a significant amount of administrative experience in SS13, but that can only make up for so much. It’s not uncommon knowledge that administrators have access to attack or other logs or other specific tools such as admin jail. Even when I was offering mild bennefit of the doubt and asking slightly more leading questions answers still weren’t quite up to my satisfaction. -1 from me.

Sadly on the discord you have a history of lack of restraint, actually getting a warning this month for posting NSFW images in the discord, and a history of arguing about engineering with people who’ve actually coded the thing you’re saying they don’t know. You’ve done decently as a mentor, but I’ve been burned too many times with restraint issues in trialmins. -1

Alrighty, well, thank you for the consideration, do I have to close this myself or does someone else do it?

Thread has gone stale. Overall opinion seems mixed to negative.

Closing and archiving.