Considering the XO is the right hand of the captain, they should have mostly the same access.
What this would change:
- XO starts with all access (except captain’s office)
- SOP changes to reflect this.
- Allows XOs to more effectively perform their job without breaking SOP and/or constantly adding and removing access from their ID. Makes it easier for XOs to go in person to department where events of interest are happening and to speak with the people there.
- Hopefully, this will increase the XO and captain’s situational awareness (if the XO relays that information). Captain and XO could be quicker to react to things like staff shortages or other reasons departments need support.
- Captain being informed more accurately about the combat readiness of the vessel.
- Some XOs might involve themselves too much in the internal affairs of departments. This would encroach on the responsibilities of the respective heads, making the game less fun for them.
- Such encroaching is against the rules and giving the XO official AA might encourage them to break that rule.
- This might encourage XOs to get lethals from the armory, even when no threat would warrant such or if there is an active sec team.