Remerv Keberb's Mentor Application //ACCEPTED//

CKEY: remervkeberb
Discord Name: Remerv Keberb#2111
Living Playtime: 222h
Experience with NSV mechanics: Plenty of playtime on the live server and on localhosts. A decent bit of discourse with other members taking their experience along the way where I could.
Why do you want to be a mentor: I like teaching people jobs while ingame. But I can’t hear everyone’s cries for help or be everywhere at once. Becoming a mentor would change that.

1: Fuel up fighter, get in fighter. On the controls window that just opened up hit the Battery, then Fuel Injector and then APU. You’ll notice the RPM slowly rise. Once that fills up, and only then. Do you hit ignition. From there hitting ALT will toggle breaks on and off. If you can’t move right away try that.
Other things that may get in the way are MAGCATS. If you’ve got an ATC helping you out he’ll be able to just launch you from there. But since you’ve made a mentor help about this issue you’re probably alone and afraid and you’ll have to do it yourself. But fear not, simply hit the maglock button and you’ll be free of it’s chains.

2: You’ll need propellant (gunpowder usually) to slam into the powder loading gates. And an actual artillery shell to pack into the payload loading gate. But before you can pack up a NAC round into the loading gate you need to arm it with a multitool. Once you’ve done all that, you go to the computer, hit the pack from
loader buttons to cram the propellant into the shell. Then feed it in.

3: Munitions Technician, Midshipman, Engineer. Most jobs really are a great start so long as there is someone there to teach you. Speaking out and asking for help makes everything go a lot smoother.

4: Janitor, Assistant, Chemist.
Assistant is self explanatory. Janitor is simple, though I believe Chemist has a gameplay loop which ties together a lot of space stations greatest aspects in an easy to learn and digest manner.

5: The XO is the 2IC, he’s there to manage more than just paperwork and access changes. He’s there to manage squads, focus on things the Captain may be too busy to deal with and relay important information to CIC.

6: Welding them to heal brute damage and applying cable coil to fix burns. Once they are healed enough they will automatically reboot. However, if an IPC is dead due to Toxins, it gets harder. You need to create system cleaner and inject it into them. Then you need to preform revival surgery so that they may process the reagents. Usually dying a few times before enough toxins are removed making it a lengthy process.

7: All depends on your role but in general
Don’t panic, the ship has plenty of time to be fixed.
Don’t try to rashly stress the pumps out right away focusing on hull, and especially don’t overstress them to the point they clog up.
Don’t instantly panic FTL out of the system as jumping while in SS crit can sometimes cause more damage than the battle would have inflicted. Instead try to keep in touch with the rest of the ship to see how bad things really are, which brings me to my do’s.
Do communicate. If the captain has just rammed into the middle of a fleet, stressing out the pumps will be in vein so long as they are taking direct hits. Generally the Helmsman or TAC officer will call out when they are disengaging from combat, which would be your queue to stress the wells. (You can also keep track of this yourself by having a DRADIS open.)
If you’re not the well operator you can still help out by repairing the outer hull of the ship and welding the armour plates.
Do keep on doing your job. If everyone does this, it’ll be just fine. Accidents happen however and if you notice that the hull isn’t going up after you’ve evaded the enemy. It’s probably time to go investigate engineering to make sure they didn’t catch a fistful of shrapnel.

8: Go to the AI upload. Tell the AI you’re doing a routine checkup. Swipe the turrets off, grab the purge lawset board, swipe it against the upload computer. Grab the default lawset board, swipe it against the upload. Try to be quick because the AI’s laws might be wacky and not allow for these changes.

9: There are a lot of books lying around the areas related to the SD that do this better than I could because they also have very helpful images that come with them. However if none of those were around to point the player to:
Set up the gasmix. Go to the reaction chamber, turn the plasma constrictors and then turn on the plasma flow that leads to them. (The purple pipes.)
Then proceed to adjust the N2 to SD mix, O2 to SD mix and Constricted Plasma to SD mix pipes so they are all evenly pumping into the mix.
Once the pipes have been wrangled you can inspect the mix chamber computer to see what your mix is. Once you’re happy with it set the output pressure to around 1000kpa and inject it.
Now that you’ve got your fuel sorted you’ll need to turn on the maintenance mode on the SD from it’s console and insert five control rods.
Once done, turn off maintenance mode, set control rod insertion to nominal operations and fire up the PKA. After a bit it should send a message over engineering comms informing you that the Storm drive is now operational. It’s safe to turn the PKA off at this point as leaving it on might overheat the reactor.
“The temp is rising but it isn’t turning on!” Fear not, usually all you need to do to fix this is raise the amount of fuel you’re inject via the computer back at the mix chamber.
“It’s pulling me in and people are screaming.” The SD demands a few things, most of them are visible at first glance on the console. Anything the SD console is displaying as orange means it’s at least a bit miffed at. So if your fuel mols are orange try lowering the amount you’re inputting.

10: Point it out to the others over comms. Quickly open up the wiki to try and see what it means in the meantime.

11: If the stormdrive is starting to melt down, you start by setting the control rods to max insertion, this will buy you time and lower the heat slowly. Hit the fuel dump button while you’re at it. Then go over to the mix tank and flood the mix with moderator gasses. If you’re lucky that’s all that you need to do. However this won’t always be enough, cutting the fuel line all together is an option. And if things aren’t better by the time the fuel rods degrade completely you’re given a choice, run for your life or try and be a hero, replacing the rods while the reactor is still on.

12: Ask the other mentors, dig through the code to try and find an answer. If no one else is online and there is no answer in the code or the wiki then I’d just tell the person the truth and wish them the best.

13: 4E3F47

So, I’m aware that this is an old thread, but I as I was alerted to another mentor-app thread that mentioned bad engineering advice, I figured I’d take a look here and see if it was the same.

So, unsurprising considering how few engineers we actually have on the server, but this is a bad plan and will probably result in a boom. Rule of thumb: DO NOT CUT FUEL Why? Because your fuel mix also contains the gasses that are stabilizing your rods and reactor core.

If you cut fuel on a high power mix or even a lower power beginner mix, you’re going to be screwed in extremely short order when your maximum safe temperature drops from 700C to 450C and you’ve hit the maximum bar.

For bonus points, if you lower the rods without fuel, you’ll just break them faster. If you lower the rods into a reactor that is overheating (but still with fuel) you’ll also break them faster, its just a question of if it will cool before the rods do, and the answer is usually an emphatic "NO"

Just cut in CO2, for the love of all that is holy. Only experienced engineers will be able to properly tell if rod insertion is working at all, and they’re not going to be the ones mhelping.

Combined with Seryn’s comment, very cool :+1: