Thudner - The Maggot Guy - Banned for getting into a "lethal fight" over a misclick where I gave them multiple chances to stop attacking me and I was the one killed

IC NAME: Charlie Finger
BYOND KEY: The_Maggot_Guy
DATE OF BAN: 4/16/21
DURATION OF BAN: 7 Days

ADMIN BYOND KEY: Thudner
REASON FOR BAN:

“LRP and overescalation: Got into a lethal fight with someone else on the shuttle after they got accidentally attacked with a tile once.”

YOUR APPEAL: So we all get on the shuttle. My IC friend (for that round) the chef, who I ran an errand for as assistant, replaces this kitchen side area’s floor with wax. someone comes in and says “Wax” “The hell with that” and starts tearing it up. I get up to shove the guy and my apid friend says “That’s it”, and when I walk up to him he hits me with the tile he’s holding (medium damage).

Thinking I’m being attacked unprovoked, I take out my heirloom toolbox (medium damage) and start hitting him with it to make him stop. In response, he starts shoving me. To make sure he’s actually trying to hurt me (and not just stop me from attacking too) I take a few steps back into an alley created by some tables, to see if he will pursue, aka to see if he’s really trying to get me down instead of stop the fighting. He pursues and continues shoving me, so I continue attacking him. This counts the first time he’s had a chance to back off and stop the fighting.

Here is an animation that shows the maneuver. When he first hit me, he was on the right in the doorway but I don’t remember if our fighting had moved to the middle of the room when I retreated so I animated both positions. I think chef was above bubblegum and a tile to the right, he can vouch for me.

Shortly after, I stop attacking, and tell him to leave. He does not, so I resume attacking so hopefully he will stop. This is the second time he has been given a chance to leave.

I then stop attacking and give him YET ANOTHER chance to stop attacking me, and he takes out a welder and starts trying to kill me with it. Eventually the fight spills out into the hall and he ends up putting me in hard crit. I think I was rescued by a medic or something.

Not once was my intent to kill the guy. He attacked me FIRST, and I gave him MANY chances to stop fighting, which he refused (by continuing to attack). Afterwards, I realized it was a misclick, but as I said before he ended up pursuing me when I backed off. If I was being malicious here, why would I give him 3 chances to stop? The only thing “lethal” about it was the fact that I was the guy killed.

I obviously ahelp him and despite eveything above, I get banned.

I was told that I normally wouldn’t be banned, but I was banned due to my notes. I have had ONE note in 8 months, and even then, the SECOND I was told my behavior was unwanted, I stopped. One mistake in 8 months that you immediately stop and apologize for does not count as “a trend of LRP behavior”.

Additional Info: My house is unlivable due to a natural disaster, and because of that I’ve been forced to stay with my manipulative/verbally abusive relatives for the past months. One of the very few ways I can relax includes calmly grilling up burgers/saving lives/generally assisting and interacting with other people on this server. It sounds stupid but this is a place with no fighting between players, where all the conflicts are an external and simple “we gotta fight the bad guys” and my job is “make burger so that like 15-30 people can have a lot more fun/not die”.

I don’t really know how to end this so here you go

oh yeah @thudner here’s the appeal

he hits me with the tile he’s holding (medium damage).

2 damage. That’s not medium.

Thinking I’m being attacked unprovoked, I take out my heirloom toolbox (medium damage) and start hitting him with it to make him stop.

First of all, being attacked once with a tile that does 2 damage is not enough to know that someone wants to hurt you. It might have easily just been a misclick, and if greg is to be belived, it was. As such, this counts as you initiating the fight.

So after that one attack you started shoving and attacking with the toolbox. And this is the critical moment.
You attacked him with a toolbox (an heirloom toolbox is still a weapon) to make him stop, but that sends a very different message from just saying “stop”. There was no way of knowing you didn’t mean to kill him You don’t respond to getting hit once with repeatedly bashing someone over the head with a toolbox, especially if the other party does not continue to hurt you.

To make sure he’s actually trying to hurt me (and not just stop me from attacking too) I take a few steps back into an alley created by some tables, to see if he will pursue, aka to see if he’s really trying to get me down instead of stop the fighting. He pursues and continues shoving me, so I continue attacking him.

Greg had the option to run or fight at that point. And while fighting is a little more aggressive than we’d like, it’s a valid option. What’s important here is that he only shoved, and did not attack you with anything that does damage. You however did. So it’s a bit ironic that you put it like he was the one trying to hurt you.

Shortly after, I stop attacking, and tell him to leave. He does not, so I resume attacking so hopefully he will stop. This is the second time he has been given a chance to leave.

Again, with a toolbox. Against someone who was shoving. That’s the overescalation i’m talking about. And at this point it should’ve been pretty clear that he was not going to leave “if you just deal enough damage”.

I then stop attacking and give him YET ANOTHER chance to stop attacking me, and he takes out a welder and starts trying to kill me with it.

By that time you had already attacked him seven times and taken a significant portion of his health. It’s not unreasonable to assume you wanted him dead and switch to a weapon at this point, even if it was, again, a little aggressive.

One mistake in 8 months that you immediately stop and apologize for does not count as “a trend of LRP behavior”.

I was not only talking about your notes, but also your behaviour this very round. The way you act is fine for the most part, but you still don’t quite meet our standards. This did not affect the ban time and was more a warning than anything.

In conclusion, you started a fight both of you could’ve disengaged from / de-escalated, but neither of you did. Greg didn’t act great either, but in the end you were more in the wrong.

Additional Info:

That sucks, and you have my sympathies. but it doesn’t change anything. I would have considered showing some mercy over it if it was a longer ban, but this is just a week.